tGD-sticker.jpg

Photo © Thomas Hawk

Relix is confirming a Spring 2009 tour by all of the surviving members of The Dead:

Sources confirm that the surviving members of the Grateful Dead — guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh,and drummers Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann — are planning to tour in April and May of 2009. There’s no word yet on the band’s configuration — previous configurations of “The Dead” and The Other Ones have included singer-guitar hero Warren Haynes, guitar ace Jimmy Herring, singer-guitarist Susan Tedeschi, singer Joan Osborne, keyboardists Jeff Chimenti and Rob Baracco, as well as guitarists Mark Karan and Steve Kimock.

While Ratdog and Phil & Friends seem to have found their niche in the post-GD touring world, nothing really compares to getting all the surviving members together on a stage. The big question is who will fill numberswiki.com

in on guitar duties. Jimmy Herring seemed pretty busy with Widespread Panic until they announced that they’d be taking some time off during 2009. So he’s a possibility. As much as I would love to see it happen, it’s hard to imagine Steve Kimock ever re-joining with The Dead. So, Herring seems like the obvious bet. But Mark Karan maybe? Warren Haynes? Larry Campbell? I’m sure we’ll find out more specifics soon enough.

Also, it looks like the band is planning another “Deadheads for Obama” show. Relix has now confirmed the show will take place on October 13 at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA, and it will also feature the Allman Brothers Band and an undetermined opening act. Warren Haynes and Jeff Chimenti will respectively fill in on guitar and keyboard duties for the band.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Subscribe to comments Comment | Trackback |
Post Tags: , ,

Browse Timeline

Comments ( 21 )

is this for real or just rumor for now? theres nothing on dead.net, but the rumors sound for legit

alexb added these pithy words on Sep 05 08 at 12:52 pm

as soon as this happens I will never see anyone involved in this crap again. keep politics out of music…especially going to bat for a liar socialist do nothing elitist like Obama. someone wake them up…thank you jerry wherever you are for never doing this…we knew the dead would go to shit after you died and it did.

john added these pithy words on Sep 05 08 at 6:35 pm

where do you get tickets at?

caitlin added these pithy words on Sep 05 08 at 10:17 pm

Wow, john…keep that negativity flowin!

More power to ‘em, it’s their band too.

Jacob
“Over 4000 Original Concert Posters Flyer and Vintage Ads”

Jacob Grossi added these pithy words on Sep 06 08 at 9:38 pm

. . . to say the Dead or Jerry never did anything political is dead wrong. Take the whole cultural revolution they were the engines of, for example. To not speak out, to not vote, to not support IS A POLITICAL ACT.

kfactor added these pithy words on Sep 08 08 at 12:10 pm

Although John may have sounded a little harsh in his tone, I believe that what he is so passionately saying is truly sound…I also believe that music and politics should be separate, unless that band is formed to make a political message in particular…like the Kottonmouth Kings for example. It is sad to see so many people fall for the two party system trick separating the working classes power between liberal and conservative views perpetrated on us by the investment class and their propaganda machine in the mass media while the transfer all the real wealth and power that our founding fathers so brilliantly divided amongst us. While most of the working class sits back and watches them turn America into a police state with no civil liberties, rights or wealth left in the hands of its citizens. If you want to bring awareness to the people of the important issues that we need to deal with then watch Dr. Ron Paul’s campaign for Liberty speech on You Tube along with Jessie Ventura’s as well. These people are true patriots in a time when it is not popular to be one. I hate to see the Dead support a person who is a socialist and is controlled by the same people who funded John McCain’s candidacy as well. I don’t care how much I love the Dead’s music when they subject themselves to political opinion’s when they publicly support someone like this.
Peace,
bB

bB added these pithy words on Sep 08 08 at 12:25 pm

that obama bs puts a bad taste in my mouth

tom alabam added these pithy words on Sep 08 08 at 9:01 pm

Unbelievable. Music and politics should be separate — uh, why? Is that in the Constitution? Nope (you’ll probably have to trust me on this — I’m not sure you’d understand it if you read it). I am stunned by the ignorance of some of the comments on this thread. Music IS politics, for God’s sake. From Buffalo Springfield to Pearl Jam, the music of the past few generations has always had its fingers directly on the pulse of American (and world) politics. And we’re all better off because of it.

P.S. Obama is a Socialist? Where the hell do you guys get this stuff? Wake up.

Rocco added these pithy words on Sep 10 08 at 9:16 pm

good deal john, frankly I am glad you’re choosing not to get involved anymore, because I feel like your negativity might bum me out, because I couldn’t cheer you up.
I don’t know why this debate about IF music and politics should be combined. First, it’s not the fan’s choice. The band can do whatever they want. They are free artists allowed to express or not express themselves. WHy would you ever want to tell an artist not to express themself? Especially for the reason that they haven’t done it before? As if there is some kind of code they can’t break once they start.

Second, music IS politics already! It’s expression of ideas. The ideas that are in songs are relating to the world we live in. Politics is how the world we live in is run. How can they not be incorporated?

To me, it sounds like people just want a band they like to stay “in the middle”, so they can assume that they have similar feelings. When they choose to further express how they feel in a deeper way, some people get very angry (like john, and others) because of this sense of loss. Well, we’re all sorry that you don’t feel you can associate with them anymore, but quit bein a party pooper!

Though I respect your right to express yourself….
For me—ROCK ON DEAD and OBAMA!

jahniqua added these pithy words on Sep 12 08 at 1:17 pm

Hey, I hope all the John’s feel that strongly so there are more tickets for the rest of us! My first reaction was, great it’s on a college campus where dude and dudette will be there for no other reason than a big party. I know it is selfish, but I miss seeing the Dead regularly, and I would rather they do this at the Eel River or something, but hey, that’s me and luckily we are all afforded the opportunity for our own options as Americans.

Steve added these pithy words on Sep 13 08 at 8:28 am

Wow! Somebody needs a nap. John, I hope you find the peace you seek. Stay home, don’t vote; no doubt you’ll find something else to cry about. I, on the other hand, can’t wait for a spring tour. I’m gassin’ up the VW as we speak. Stay home, John, it’s just more GD for us positive folks.

craig cottier added these pithy words on Sep 15 08 at 5:56 pm

These folks absolutely have the duty and obligation to speak stongly for what they believe is best for America, both John and the Dead. I don’t think Obama would make a good president (more of the same generic politician we are always fed, just a little younger) so I won’t be camping out for that show. …Remember camping out for tickets? Technology sure can steal some of life’s simple pleasures … i digress … wait no i don’t, this a live music blog. Spring tour yummy! Help>Slip>Franklin on the turf as the moon rises and all freaks begin to twirl. Someone getting their miracle just in the nick of time. Veggie burritos hot off the camp stove. These are things no politician can seperate me from. The persuit of happiness. So I’ll give Nader one of his 9 votes and count the days.

Chris added these pithy words on Sep 16 08 at 1:05 pm

Look, whatever it takes to get everyone back on stage. We know who we are and our beliefs as Deadheads. Let them take the big Obama check and take us on a great ride around the country to remember what it was. Cause either way more “change” is coming and it is a bitch paying $4+ a gallon. Especially in a 27ft Wayne coach. It just maybe the last time anything like this is possible for them and US. Depends on the changes.

Shaun added these pithy words on Sep 17 08 at 2:18 pm

I’ll be there with full Republican gear.

Jeff added these pithy words on Sep 25 08 at 6:14 pm

i just read a lot of these posts and i cant believe what im hearing.

music is not fucking politics. music is the rawest form of human love and expression there is. something that gives us a glimpse of divinity..to compare that to people squabbling over how to run other peoples life is horribaly stupid, and it makes me sick to read that…has jerry not taught us that by now? that music is something that human words cant describe?

beardybison added these pithy words on Oct 02 08 at 11:59 am

Did you check out http://www.ConcertforObama.com If not, definitely check it out! Very cool. It has all the major Obama concerts listed…

Steven added these pithy words on Oct 07 08 at 9:59 am

It is sad to read how much hate everyone has these days-hate for a person, for a political party, for a band, for everything. The Dead speak out and reach the minds of millions of people, mostly smart people, and why does everyone critisize them for using their gift to help our country?

We as a nation are on a scary ride-a roller coaster that won’t stop, and I for one, applaud the Dead for standing up and showing their support for Obama. Whether you like it or not, we have two choices this year, which affects us for the next 4 (and maybe much, much longer): McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden. That’s it. We must choose, and choose wisely.

And if you have been reading and listening, Obama and Biden are the much better choice. Applause again, for Bobby, Micky, Phil, Bill…for everyone involved in this benefit. It is about time that the people we admire and enjoy stand up and speak out!!

I think Jerry would be proud and standing with the Dead in this time of such uncertainty in our country. We need a miracle. And hopefully Obama can help.

Of course you have the right to vote (and vote you must) for McCain and Palin, but think about what they actually stand for before casting your ballot. McCain’s behavior is erratic, bizarre, even scary at times, and Palin is untruthful, and not for saving our precious planet, our animals-she just wants to drill, baby, drill…sick. Have you seen video of the wolves she encouraged Alaskans to murder? $150 bounty on wolves’ legs?? Sick.

The Dead have a right, a privledge, even a duty to support a candidate they feel will best suite our country-and we as citizens too, should support who we believe in.

I was hesitant about Barack Obama, but based on everything I have read, heard and seen, I do support him and hope that our country does, and pray that a miracle can lift us out of the black hole we seem to be melting away into.

Peace, please do not show hate towards people for showing support to our country’s leaders.

miracle added these pithy words on Oct 11 08 at 7:01 am

i would have loved to donate $50 to the concert for a live feed of the music!!! i do hope we can hear the show at a later date……

the other jer added these pithy words on Oct 13 08 at 7:41 am

The thing that sucks about politicizing music is that when you start raising money for a candidate you alienate people that believe in the other guy. What would you think if The dead got back together for a Sarah Palin fundraiser?

vince added these pithy words on Oct 16 08 at 12:26 pm

vince….perfect post…people would wig if the dead were not supporting obama…

i’m a lucky one in some ways….saw ‘em multiple times in multiple venues…
have a good one….adios